Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ruffles, meet Luxe.

So I am typically not the frilly, fru-fru dress kind of girl.. but when an image of a frilly-yet-sophisticated dress entered my mind, I knew I had to make it.  

Dark gray velveteen top (which came from a pair of pants), layers of cream chiffon ruffles, and a gold satin bow make for a fabulous combination, wouldn't you say? 
The gold anchor buttons add the perfect amount of luxe to this gray, cream, and gold dress. 



Alright, so you want to know the secret to making this dress?  I started out with this bad boy...

That's right.. I used McCall's 3531 pattern and changed it up all sorts of ways. This pattern is just a basic dress (A little old fashioned, yea?) that you can find at any craft store.
*****As a warning...the pattern is not a beginner's pattern, but if I can sew this, I'm pretty sure you can figure it out too! : )******

I used the pattern's bodice instructions and then changed it up as follows:
First, I added the ribbon detailing on the bodice right after I cut out my pattern pieces. I just sewed the ribbon down the middle of the bodice front piece.

Second, I simplified the sleeves.  The pattern calls for a tie detail on the sleeve.  I just omitted that part. : )

The only other change I made was on the skirt.  I narrowed the skirt significantly (like maybe 6-7 inches)because I knew I wouldn't need soo much fabric because of the ruffles.  Before I sewed the skirt onto the bodice, I ruffled up some chiffon (3 yards to be exact) and sewed it row by row on the skirt.  This takes a LOT of time.. so be patient!  In the end it will be all worth it!

In addition, I also sewed a belt but did not sew it onto the dress. I wanted the options to change the colors of the belt if I wanted.

That's it.. A few changes makes a whole lot of difference wouldn't you say?


Now the little one loves to twirl, spin, and dance in all the layers and layers of chiffon ruffles.
And other times she just likes to glare at here mom forcing her to take pictures.
I'm in love with how it all turned out. : )



6 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful! Good luck from a fellow auditioner

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so creative and adorable! I hope you will stop by SewCountry Chick and post it on Sew&Telll Saturday!
    Justine
    Sewcountrychick dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun dress for a little girl! I think chiffon is one of the world's greatest fabrics! So cute!

    Thank you for entering Project Run and Play we are looking forward to what you make in the future and are hoping that you will continue to sew along with us.
    ---Simple Simon and Co.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there this is super cute! Found you on project run and play. Im your newest follower ;) hope you may stop by my blog and say hi ;)

    Katie--maceylou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love & comment! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...